I adapted a few recipes I had found online to create this. It was a bit experimental ^^ But it was light and airy like a classic sponge, the strawberries were fresh, and the whipped cream was of course delicious... everyone raved about it, so I was satisfied with the results!
Victorian Sponge Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar (more for garnish)
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer in another bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating fully. Mix well.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Beat in the milk and vanilla until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the baking pans.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and unmold.
6. Whip cream with electric mixer. When peaks start to form, add in vanilla extract and sugar. Beat for a little while longer, but make sure not to overbeat.
7. Spread a layer of halved strawberries on the cake. Cover with whipped cream. Garnish cake as you like with more whipped cream, strawberries, and confectioner's sugar.